Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA) and the National Institutes for Quantum and Radiological Science and Technology (QST), established in April 2016, have two contract beamlines each at SPring-8, and are developing advanced technologies for synchrotron use. JAEA and QST are entrusted with the MEXT Nanotechnology Platform Program, and participate in the Advanced Characterization Nanotechnology Platform Project. JAEA and QST jointly promote the use of apparatuses for structure and electronic states analyses by researchers of universities, companies, and public research organizations. Comprehensive analyses of crystal structures, their local structures, electronic states, and chemical reactions by using scattering, diffraction and absorption of synchrotron radiation are supported.
Policy for approved 2020A Proposals and resumption of user operation at JAEA & QST
[For JAEA users]
1. SPring-8 has partially re-opened for domestic users visits from June 15th, 2020. JAEA resumed nanotechnology platform experiments from June 16th, 2020.
2. Users with beamtime allocated before the end of June have already been notified of cancellation. The JAEA staff in charge will contact these users to discuss possible re-scheduling.
3. User experiments that could not be performed in the first half of 2020 will be postponed to the second half of 2020. Beamtime schedules will be decided just after the start of the second half of 2020, and we ask for your co-operation.
4. For XAFS and powder X-ray diffraction experiments, it is possible to request that your experiment be performed by JAEA staff on your behalf. Please contact the person in charge of the equipment if you wish to consider this possibility.
[For QST users]
1. The QST nanotechnology platform experiments allocated in the first half of 2020 will be rescheduled to dates starting in October 2020, as a rule.
2. There will be no call for proposals for the second half of 2020.
3. Some experiments may be able to be performed by QST staff on behalf of external users. Please refer to “Use without visit to SPring-8” for more information. If you wish to consider this possibility, please contact the QST staff in charge.
4. Use with visit to SPring-8 was resumed from 16th, June. Upon request, we will consider allocation of approved beamtime in the first half of 2020. Please contact the QST staff in charge as soon as you can, if you would like to conduct your experiment in the first half of 2020.
Usage fees of QST have been revised in April.
Suspension of SR experiments for preventing the spread of new coronavirus
[For JAEA users]
1. In response to the emergency declaration due to a new coronavirus infection, nanotechnology platform experiments of JAEA scheduled by the end of May, 2020, have been canceled. We have already contacted the person responsible for the experiment on the subject.
2. The canceled nanotechnology platform experiments of JAEA will be postponed to 2020B.
3. If further experiments after June will be canceled due to situation change, users of the canceled experiments will be informed the cancellation at any time.
4. Please contact with a research staff in charge if you wish to conduct agency experiments in XAFS and powder X-ray diffraction.
[For QST users]
1. User operations at SPring-8 have been temporarily suspended since April 7th. The end of the suspension period has not been officially announced yet. Accordingly, the QST nanotechnology platform experiments have been cancelled.
2. The canceled experiments have been postponed to 2020B or later.
Please use your acknowledgements-dedicated grant number in acknowledgements of your papers as shown below.
For QST users having the nanotechnology platform number A-19-QS-0200 → The acknowledgements-dedicated grant number is JPMXP09A19QS0200.
For JAEA users having the nanotechnology platform number A-19-AE-0200 → The acknowledgements-dedicated grant number is JPMXP09A19AE0200.
The research seminar of Kyoto University・JAEA・QST Advanced Characterization Nanotechnology Platforms scheduled on March 6th, 2020 has been canceled due to prevention of new coronavirus infection spread.
Usage fees have been revised to match the increasing consumption tax rate.
Application of 2020A Research Proposals has been closed. Urgent research proposals are welcome at any time. Consultations are also available at any time, free of charge. Application Forms for 2020B Research Proposals will be accepting in May, 2020.
If you have a plan to use an SR experimental apparatus attributed to JAEA or QST, please confirm an attributable organization (JAEA or QST) for the apparatus, and submit the JAEA application form or QST application form to JAEA or QST, respectively, with no attention to beamline attribution. Details are shown in Procedures for JAEA users and Procedures for QST users.
”Application for trial use of advanced characterization nanotechnology platform” is newly open in FY2018. Please feel free to contact the JAEA or the QST office.
Submission of letter of agreement regarding research conduct
JAEA and QST need the letter of agreement of all users in The JAEA and QST Advanced Characterization Nanotechnology Platforms.
Letter of agreement of JAEA (in Japanese)
Letter of agreement of QST (in Japanese)
Measures for the prevention of research misconduct in JAEA and QST are as follows (in Japanese). Project leaders are requested to ensure that all project members understand the rules and regulations found at the website below, collect the completed forms, and submit them to JAEA or QST after adoption of the proposal with Application Forms for Adopted Project.
Measures for the prevention of research misconduct in JAEA (in Japanese)
Measures for the prevention of research misconduct in QST (in Japanese)
FY2019 MEXT Nanotechnology Platform, Kyoto University・JAEA・QST Advanced Characterization Nanotechnology Platform, Research Seminar on Analysis of Reactions and Structures via Latest Electron Microscopy and Synchrotron Radiation Techniques@TKP Garden City Kyoto→It has been canceled due to prevention of new coronavirus infection spread.
FY2019 MEXT Nanotechnology Platform, JAEA, NIMS&QST Advanced Characterization Nanotechnology Platform, Workshop on Application of Synchrotron Radiation Equipments@Hyogo Prefectural Institute of Technology
FY2018 MEXT Nanotechnology Platform, Kyoto University・JAEA・QST Advanced Characterization Nanotechnology Platform, Research Seminar on Analysis of Reactions and Structures via Electron Microscopy and Synchrotron Radiation@TKP Garden City Kyoto
Renewal opening of our website